You will be watching 2 short video clips. The first one is Placebos and Nocebos (3:43), The second one is Treating Depression: Is There a Placebo Effect? (13:43), a 60 Minutes piece which although a little dated, gives a good overview of the gist of placebos. Watch both and then answer the questions that follow.
Click on the link below for the second video –
- From the first video, how might placebos actually adversely affect someone? (1 point)
- From the first video, Ted Kaptchuck of Harvard’s Program in Placebo Studies was mentioned. How does he explain, or frame, the placebo effect? What are your thoughts on his explanation? (1 point)
- From the second video (the 60 Minutes piece), according to psychologist Irving Kirsch, for whom do anti-depressants work the best? the least? (1 point)
- What is informed consent? (Hopefully you remember from earlier psychology classes, but you may also see pp. 40-41, and 73 in your text). (1 point)
- Regarding the knee surgery study, how would you feel if you found you were in the control group and your knee was simply opened and then sewn back up Remember informed consent… (2 points)
What Students Are Saying About Us.......... Customer ID: 12*** | Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
"Honestly, I was afraid to send my paper to you, but you proved you are a trustworthy service. My essay was done in less than a day, and I received a brilliant piece. I didn’t even believe it was my essay at first 🙂 Great job, thank you!"
.......... Customer ID: 11***| Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
"This company is the best there is. They saved me so many times, I cannot even keep count. Now I recommend it to all my friends, and none of them have complained about it. The writers here are excellent."