The purpose of this paper is to provide an opportunity to utilize community assessment strategies, uncover a community health problem, and identify the components of one community health nursing problem related to the community dynamics.
This assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes.
CO2: Assess the health needs of individuals, families, aggregates, and communities using demographic and epidemiological data to identify population health risks. (PO 4)
CO6: Utilize a systems-based and collaborative approach to address factors that influence the health of a community and population health problems. (PO 2)
Submit to the appropriate basket in the Dropboxby 11:59 p.m. MT Sunday of Week 4.
Points: 225 points
This paper is expected to be no more than four pages in length (not including the title page and reference list). Below are the requirements for successful completion of this paper.Please use the following categories as the first level headings on your paper. See the documents in the APA category in Course Resources for assistance with APA formatting.
· [Introduction:]This beginning of your paper should catch the reader’s attention with interesting facts about your community and should include the purpose statement of the paper. This should be one paragraph.APA states that you should not title this as introduction; however, you are still expected to write a separate introduction. The title of the paper should be repeated at the top of page two and centered.
· Community Overview: Identify the community that you are assessing by name and state and provide a general description of the community. ( I LIVE IN SOUTH MIAMI FLORIDA, USA) What is the general character of the community? Statistics should not be included here. Your community should be the area you live or workin and should include a residential area. It should be a large enough area to answer the questions in the text. This should be one paragraph.
· Demographic Data: Compile a range of demographic (population description) data for your community by examining U.S. Census Bureau reports. Using this data, describe your community. Compare your community data to state or national data. A summary of this data should be no more than two paragraphs. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/index.html
· Epidemiological Data: Compile and summarize a range of epidemiological (illness, morbidity, and mortality) data for your community by examining data from sources such as city or county health department reports, County Health Rankings (countyhealthrankings.org), or the Centers for Disease Control to describe priority health problems in your area. See the Webliography for applicable sites to search. Compare your community to state or national data. This comparison will help to identify a priority community health problem specific to your community. A summary of this data should be no more than two paragraphs.
· Windshield Survey: Provide a summary of your observations from your first milestone. Make sure to discuss observations related to your identified problem. This should be one to two paragraphs.
· WINDSHIELD SURVEY PROJECT I already did ( Milestone 1)
|1. Introduction of Community (20 points)
Identify the city and state of your community and briefly describe the community you will be using for this assignment. It should be the area where you live or the area surrounding your work setting but must include a residential area. Demographic data are not needed.
|I currently reside in the city of Miami in Florida. Miami has a population of 417,650, and Florida 19,600,311 based on the 2013 census. The average age is 36.2 years. 72.6% of the population is white. 70.0% of the population is Hispanic. (I’m not sure how the total percentage comes out to greater than 100%, unless some of the Hispanics counted themselves as white, or vice versa….) 19.2% of the population is African American. 1.0% of the population is Asian. In addition, 70.9% of people over the age of 25 have a high school diploma and 23.1% of people have a bachelors degree or higher. 32.8% of the population owns their homes; the median house income is $30,375. Retrieve from http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/12/1245000.html|
|2. Windshield Survey (100 points)
a. Vitality:Use a majority of the questions from Box 6-2 in your text to describe your observations about the community vitality.
|The majority of the people who lives in my neighborhood are Hispanic. The most common ethnicity or race in Miami, Florida is white and Hispanic. The general appearance of the resident’s downtown is healthy and very fit bodies. I also notice residents that are appropriate dress and clean outfits. Here in Miami, Florida people take care very well of their appearance and look. Miami is a city of the entertainment, many places to visits and beautiful beaches, because of that many visitors and tourists come to visit our community. People of various ages are visible in the mid town, during the day, there are many people of both genders and ages walking while carrying laundry bags or pushing carts with groceries. There is a home for the mental disable and some of the residents can be seen walking outside. I also noticed elderly using walker and wheelchair, others getting out of their private bus for elderly people. During the night, especially during weekends and near the beach, I notice many people under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
|b. Indicators of social and economic conditions: Use a majority of the questions from Box 6-2 in your text to describe your observations about the social and economic conditions.||In Miami, Florida there are many single and multifamily residences. The condition of these homes and apartments varies with the neighborhood. We also have public houses, especially for single mothers, and homeless people that don’t have where to go or live. The most common method of transportation is by car, buses, and train. You can also notice young adults riding motorcycles at high speed in highways. In the city of Miami we provide programs for elderly, like free transportation, food stamps, and activities reunions. Miami afford job opportunities; we have factories, small businesses, but no military installations. There are unemployed people such as homeless, especially in Downtown, living in the street under bridges. Even though we offer then public houses, most of them prefer to live in the street.
|c. Health Resources: Use a majority of the questions from Box 6-2 in your text to describe your observations about the health resources.||In Miami, Florida we have many local hospitals, which the majorities are very big that provides diverse services. We also have Dialysis centers, pharmacies, and surgical supply stores. There are Nursing/Rehab Centers as well as adult day care services. There are Urgent Care, and several medical, dental, and chiropractic offices. We have a Miami-Dade County Health Department, which offer diverse services like STD treatments, homeless or abused shelters, family planning services and more. There are mobile health vehicles and blood donation centers.
|d. Environmental conditions related to health: Use a majority of the questions from Box 6-2 in your text to describe your observations about the environmental conditions.||The condition of the roads and streets of the city of Miami are very good. With all the drainage systems in place and working well. There are adequate traffic lights, signs and handicapped accessible sidewalks throughout the town. Even thought Miami is a heavily trafficked city, all streets are very well organized with the proper signs. There are many restaurants. Usually, we don’t see people selling food in the streets, neither people eating in public areas. We have public restroom available in everywhere.|
|e. Social functioning: Use a majority of the questions from Box 6-2 in your text to describe your observations about the social functioning.||The generation within the neighborhood ranges from elderly to infants. There are families observed, and families are seen with either a mom or dad being present with their children. Families are caring for the children. Many of the families in the neighborhood remain to their selves and their family, the people working within their yard is not bothering their neighbors. I did not observe anything that would make me suspicious of social problems, neither gang activity, juvenile delinquency or drug or alcohol abuse.|
|f. Attitude toward healthcare: Use a majority of the questions from Box 6-2 in your text to describe your observations about the attitudes toward healthcare.||The public health and Planned Parenthood clinics provide preventive and wellness care to the uninsured people. Frequently, volunteers from local hospitals offer a free annual Community Health Fair which provides education, cholesterol testing, blood pressure, diabetic testing, stroke risk and HIV screening services for Miami residents. There are many botanical and herbal medicine stores. I see advertising promoting a healthy lifestyle, exercise, how to quit smoking, not text and drive, neither drink nor drive.
|3. Conclusion: (20 pts)
Provide a summary of your findings and your conclusion. What problems did you identify?
|In conclusion, the city of Miami provides numerous services and educational resources for its residents regarding ways to stay healthy. Also the town aims to maintain cohesiveness thought organized community service. Overall, the community has well-kept houses and living conditions. Many of the people are found walking the streets during the day and enjoying what the community has to offer. The community has many of options within the health system. Many hospitals that provides great care to the patients. For homeless or people who have a drug or alcohol problem, we have locations that provide help for them.|
· Problem Diagnosis:
o Using the assessment data, identify one community health nursing problem that you consider to be a priority concern.
o Relate your choice to one of the Healthy People 2020specific numbered objectives (not just a goal). Healthy People objectives are located within a topic area under the Objectives tab.
o Your rationale should also include why this is a problem in your community and factors that contribute to the problem. Avoid discussion of interventions in this milestone.
o Include a discussion of your problem within formation from at least two scholarly sources (such as professional journal articles).(Review the documents in the APA category in Doc Sharing for help in determining sources that are considered scholarly—hint, .com websites are not considered scholarly sources).This should be no more than three paragraphs.
· Summary:Summarize your community assessment and diagnosis findings and include a brief statement about the problema nd the major factors that contribute to this problem. This information should be no more than two paragraphs.
· Reference Page: All references should be cited within the paper and should be included on the reference page.
· Application: Use Microsoft Word 2010 (or later)to create this assignment.
· Use the categories above as APA headings for the sections of your paper.
· Length: This paper is expected to be no more than four pages in length (not including the title page and reference list).
· Submission: Submit your file via the basket in the Dropbox: Milestone 2 Assessment and Diagnosis, by 11:59 p.m.MT Sunday of Week 4.
· Scholarly Writing: APA format is required. Review APA documents in the APA categoryin Course Resourcesand use the free resources of SmartThinking for writing tutors.
· Save your paper with your last name in the document title (e.g., Smith Assessment and Diagnosis).
· Late Submission: See the course policy on late submissions.
Best Practicesin Preparing the Paper
The following are best practices in preparing this project.
· Complete the demographic, epidemiologic, and windshield survey prior to choosing a problem to focus on.
· Choose onenursing problem specific to your community.
· Make sure all elements of the paper are addressed and headings for each category are included.
· Review directions thoroughly.
· Cite all sources within the paper as well as on the reference page.
· Proofread prior to final submission.
· Check for spelling and grammar errors prior to final submission.
· Use the A column of the rubric below to ensure that you have included all the needed elements.
· Abide by the CCN academic integrity policy. The paper must be your original work. Once submitted to the Dropbox, check back to ensure that your Turnitin similarity index is less than 24%, if not revise and resubmit prior to the deadline.
What Students Are Saying About Us.......... Customer ID: 12*** | Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
"Honestly, I was afraid to send my paper to you, but you proved you are a trustworthy service. My essay was done in less than a day, and I received a brilliant piece. I didn’t even believe it was my essay at first 🙂 Great job, thank you!"
.......... Customer ID: 11***| Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
"This company is the best there is. They saved me so many times, I cannot even keep count. Now I recommend it to all my friends, and none of them have complained about it. The writers here are excellent."