Part I – 5 pts
Choose five (5) of the following concepts, questions, and comparisons and explain each in no more than one paragraph. In your exam, specify which ones you are explaining
1. White Spatial Imaginaries
2. Who are the truly disadvantaged, and what economic and social factors made them that?
3. Peripheral Urbanization
4. Based on Rolnik, what two processes facilitated the financialization of housing? Explain.
5. Rent gap
6. What are the differences between gentrifiers and social preservationists?
7. What is the relationship between eviction and exploitation?
8. How do the eyes on the street affect queer spaces experiencing gentrification?
9. What are the differences between therapeutic policing and complaint-oriented policing?
Part II 15 pts
Imagine you decide to send a letter to NYC Mayor-elect Eric Adams to explain why it is important that he develops policies to address residential racial/ethnic segregation. In no more than 1,000 words, write a letter addressed to him explaining the history of policies and actions that led to the current racial/ethnic spatial divide (segregation). Then, explain to him the consequences of the concentration of poverty on particular groups (neighborhood effects). And finish your letter with a closing statement.
Part III 10 pts
In discussing gentrification and displacement, Zuk et al. suggest that populations experiencing them are victims of a double-insult. For this question, first, explain what these authors mean by double-insult. Then define gentrification and displacement, and use these concepts to illustrate a gentrification case you are familiar with. (You can use the examples of the two chapters we read from Sharon Zukins book, the Fulton Mall case discussed in the documentary My Brooklyn, or any other case you know about).
Hint: dont forget to discuss how discourses about authenticity are used in gentrification processes.
What Students Are Saying About Us.......... Customer ID: 12*** | Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
"Honestly, I was afraid to send my paper to you, but you proved you are a trustworthy service. My essay was done in less than a day, and I received a brilliant piece. I didn’t even believe it was my essay at first 🙂 Great job, thank you!"
.......... Customer ID: 11***| Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
"This company is the best there is. They saved me so many times, I cannot even keep count. Now I recommend it to all my friends, and none of them have complained about it. The writers here are excellent."