Studies have shown that the public is ready and willing to participate in planning efforts and to be part of a community-based homeland security approach. Overall, communications between the public and the DHS have been poor. Currently, no overall partnership strategy between the government and businesses exists. As we move into the future, community-based participation, communication, and public-private sector partnerships will be critically important in protecting our nation from the local level to the national level. The future homeland security plan needs to be: “For the people, by the people, and of the people.”
Before you begin this discussion, be sure to review the following readings and videos listed on the Learning and Assessment Activities page:
- Bullock, J. A., Haddow, G. D., & Coppola, D. P. (2016). Introduction to homeland security: Principles of all-hazards risk management (5th ed.). Waltham, MA: Elsevier.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). (n.d.). Building a disaster resistant community: Project impact. (Links to an external site.) [PDF file size 4.4 MB] Retrieved from http://training.fema.gov/EMIweb/edu/docs/hazriskmanage/Hazards%20Risk%20Mgmt%20-%20Session%204%20-%20Project%20Impact%20Guidebook.pdf
- Limelight Communications, Inc. (Producer). (2013). FEMA—Project impact (Links to an external site.) [Video file] [1 min 20 sec]. Retrieved from http://vimeo.com/47254049 (Links to an external site.)
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security. (n.d.). Private-sector resources. (Links to an external site.) Retrieved from http://www.dhs.gov/private-sector-resources (Links to an external site.)
- U.S. Government Accountability Office. (2007). Homeland security: Federal efforts are helping to alleviate some challenges encountered by state and local information fusion centers. (Links to an external site.) Retrieved from http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-08-35
After reviewing the assignments, lectures, as well as the readings and video above, you have a better understanding of the interdependence of homeland security and public participation, communication, and the role of the business sector in emergency management planning. For this discussion respond to the following:
- Explain how you would redefine homeland security readiness within the context of achieving more public participation, better communication, and business sector inclusion in all-hazards emergency management planning.
What Students Are Saying About Us.......... Customer ID: 12*** | Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
"Honestly, I was afraid to send my paper to you, but you proved you are a trustworthy service. My essay was done in less than a day, and I received a brilliant piece. I didn’t even believe it was my essay at first 🙂 Great job, thank you!"
.......... Customer ID: 11***| Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
"This company is the best there is. They saved me so many times, I cannot even keep count. Now I recommend it to all my friends, and none of them have complained about it. The writers here are excellent."