The National Institutes of Mental Health acknowledges that depression is one of the most common mental disorders in the United States. It is associated with significant disability, fiscal impact, and considerable personal suffering. It may have significant impact on the individual, their family, and their social network. The PMHNP must be capable of providing comprehensive care for depressive disorders, including both psychotherapy and psychopharmacologic approaches.
This week, you will become “captain of the ship” as you take full responsibility for a client with a depressive disorder. You will recommend psychopharmacologic treatment and psychotherapy, identify medical management needs and community support, and recommend follow-up plans. You will also explore how to obtain a DEA license and the responsibilities for safe prescribing and prescription monitoring.
“Captain of the Ship” – Depressive Disorder
As nurse practitioners strive to achieve full-autonomous practice across the country, it should be noted that many states grant this ability to practice independently to psychiatric mental health nurse practitioners. To that end, you will be engaging in projects this semester that assume that you are practicing in a state that allows full-practice authority for NPs, meaning that the PMHNP may be the “captain of the ship” concerning caring for a patient population. The “captain of the ship” is the one who makes referrals to specialists, coordinates care for their patients/clients, and is responsible and accountable for patient/client outcomes overall. This is a decided change from a few decades ago when physicians were the “captain of the ship” and NPs played a peripheral role.
In this Assignment, you will become the “captain of the ship” as you provide treatment recommendations and identify medical management, community support resources, and follow-up plans for a client with a depression disorder.
· Recommend psychopharmacologic treatments based on therapeutic endpoints
for clients with depression disorders
· Recommend psychotherapy based on therapeutic endpoints for clients with
· Identify medical management needs for clients with depression disorders
· Identify community support resources for clients with depression disorders
· Recommend follow-up plans for clients with depression disorders
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Select an adult or older adult client with a depressive disorder you have seen in your practicum.
In 3–4 pages, write a treatment plan for your client in which you do the following:
- Recommend psychotherapy choices (individual, family, and group) and specific therapeutic endpoints for your choices.
- Identify medical management needs, including primary care needs, specific to this client.
- Identify community support resources (housing, socioeconomic needs, etc.) and community agencies that are available to assist the client. Recommend a plan for follow-up intensity and frequency and collaboration with other providers including PCP or medical provider
Tip for the Assignment
This week assignment, you will ‘captain the ship’ you are the provider and writing the diagnostic work-up and treatment plan for a patient with DEPRESSIVE DISORDER. You will develop plans for a patient that you have worked with in your practicum.
A few comments about the ‘Captain of the Ship’ assignment. The spirit of the assignment is that you are directing the client’s care, not simply writing a paper about depressive disorder. When you are the team leader, it’s important to provide authoritative direction for other providers. In your treatment plan, it’s good to outline your collaboration with client’s other providers. Later in the quarter, you will have another opportunity to complete ‘Captain of the Ship’ project.
I have attached an excellent example of a different Captain of the Ship project with this assignment and. Note that this assignment is on depressive disorder, not on Obsessive Compulsive.
What Students Are Saying About Us.......... Customer ID: 12*** | Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
"Honestly, I was afraid to send my paper to you, but you proved you are a trustworthy service. My essay was done in less than a day, and I received a brilliant piece. I didn’t even believe it was my essay at first 🙂 Great job, thank you!"
.......... Customer ID: 11***| Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
"This company is the best there is. They saved me so many times, I cannot even keep count. Now I recommend it to all my friends, and none of them have complained about it. The writers here are excellent."