Read the following case study:
Lawrence, K. (2020, January 15). Walmart reduces gun inventory. (Links to an external site.) Sage Publications. http://dx.doi.org/10.4135/9781529728606 (Links to an external site.)
This case is based on the strategic decisions made by Walmart in response to two shootings that occurred at Walmart locations. These decisions included limiting gun sales and dissuading customers from openly carrying firearms while they shop in the company’s stores. Several other retail companies have made similar decisions that may indicate that the industry has become less concerned with making political statements than with reducing operational risks even if gun-related policies may result in a loss of certain segments of their customers.
The analysis of this case will include your assessment of how Walmart’s gun-related strategies might impact its business. Included in your analysis will be a prediction of possible industry-wide effects of these strategies. Consider whether other companies might adopt similar or different approaches. You will also discuss the political implications of these gun-related decisions.
Use headings in your paper to indicate your responses to each of the following questions:
- How are customers likely to react to Walmart’s strategy concerning gun sales?
- Will this strategy impact risk and liability for ongoing operations? Why or why not?
- What are some possible industry-wide responses from other retail-based companies involved with the sale of guns and accessories? HINT: Review the following resource: Zhang, H. (2020, March 10). Dick’s Sporting Goods will stop selling guns at 440 more stores (Links to an external site.). CNN.
- What are the likely impacts of this strategic decision on Walmart stakeholders based on the stakeholder listing as shown in Figure 1-3 in the class text?
- From a stakeholder perspective, should retail companies make strategic decisions that might be understood as political statements? Why or why not?
- From a risk management perspective, is asking customers to avoid openly carrying firearms in stores, rather than banning them completely, enough to address potential sales losses while reducing risks? Why or why not?
- Review the grading rubric for more information on expectations and how you will be graded.
- Your paper should meet the following requirements:
- Be 4-6 pages in length, not including the required cover and references pages. Include a title page, section headers, introduction, conclusion, and references page.
- Be formatted in APA style. The CSU Global Writing Center offers resources on how to format your assignment (Links to an external site.) and cite sources (Links to an external site.) in APA style.
- Support all of your assertions with credible peer-reviewed academic or professional sources. Use terms, evidence, and concepts from the class text and class readings, including professional business language.
- Include a minimum of three credible academic or professional references in addition to the textbook and the case study. The CSU Global Library is a good place to find resources.
What Students Are Saying About Us.......... Customer ID: 12*** | Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
"Honestly, I was afraid to send my paper to you, but you proved you are a trustworthy service. My essay was done in less than a day, and I received a brilliant piece. I didn’t even believe it was my essay at first 🙂 Great job, thank you!"
.......... Customer ID: 11***| Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
"This company is the best there is. They saved me so many times, I cannot even keep count. Now I recommend it to all my friends, and none of them have complained about it. The writers here are excellent."